Saturday, June 22, 2013

Family First


We have a human need to be close, to be intimate, with other human beings. Having good, supportive friendships, a strong marriage or close and loving relationships with our family members will make us much more likely to be happy. I put my family first above everything else in life.

In the book "Blue Zones" by Dan Buettner, he shares 9 ways to add 12 years to your life. He says a thriving family can add upto 6 years. Putting family first is one of the simple method to live happier, healthier and longer.

One simple method I follow is our daily family meeting. My two daughters, my wife and myself sit for a 10-15 minute discussion time(sometimes it may go upto 30minutes also) and we discuss our experiences in life. We share our stories.

Yesterday, we had an amazing discussion started with the Himalayan Tsunami happened few days ago in Uttarkhand - India but slowly landed in the topic of money, economics and types of people based on their income levels.

A sudden realization struck me as I was discussing with them.

Read this facebook update which I posted today


Murali Sundaram
326/Which class do you belong to?

During our family discussion yesterday, we ended up in discussing about different classes of people based on their income levels like lower class, middle class and upper class of people.

My daughter asked me which class we belong to. Suddenly the realization struck me that we do not fulfil any of the criteria and do not fit into any category.

I told her that we belong to “happy” class. Our currency is Happiness. Our main trading commodity is most precious on earth - Breath. We live in the “NOW”.

I told her there are only two class of people - happy class & unhappy class. Unhappy class are not clear about what they want in life, not focussed on their lives, they live for others, they worry what others will think of them, they acquire lots of stuff instead of life experience, they have lots of dreams, but dare not to take action, they will find fault in others, they will blame politicians, governments, neighbours, relatives, friends, colleagues, they live either on past worries or anxieties of future.

So, which class you belong to?


Very true...

Just Imagine living like this...

Class: Happy

Currency: Happiness

Commodity: Breath

Place: Here in the NOW, Present moment

Gadget: iBody

Happiness is a choice. When we are happy, our family is happy. 

Read this article on 46 ways of happy living for more insights on happiness and simple methods to live happily.



1 comment:

yesrk said...

I really like this post
Reality of the Life is NOW